Saturday, January 30, 2010

Couture Shows

No, I haven't died. I've just been busy with finishing my holiday homework. And now for everyone's favourite distraction from the real world- Couture.
You've all seen the collections and reviews on style.com but I'm going to tell you what I think anyway.

Shall we start with my favourite? Chanel.



I don't think I'd have ever given much thought to pastel colours and silver but like everything else Karl Lagerfeld touches it just works. I have a little weakness for pastel colours, transperant fabrics and bit of shimmer so this collection receives 5 stars from me. I was especially excited about the hair and beauty. The way the silver/blue was included was like the more elegant version of Proenza Schouler's SS10 blue hair.

But when has Chanel ever ceased to amaze? I recently hired a DVD about the life of Coco Chanel. Her life is truly fascinating and I believe that Karl Lagerfeld may possibly be the only person who can continue such an iconic fashion empire. I am very excited to see what the house of Chanel will bring us next.

Next is also what I though to be a good collection; Dior.
Dior shows are known for the elaborate sets and extravagant ideas and of course this show was no exception. I really have a thing for lace so the more feminine side of me had a moment of excitement. I like idea of the source of inspiration for John Galliano- the image of women riding side saddle.

Lastly I'd like to write about Valentino- a somewhat disappointment considering previous collections.


Perhaps this is Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pier Paolo Piccioli trying a new thing and delving into the modern world that has now become so driven by technology. Perhaps they are trying to attract a new audience. All I mean to say is that I personally much prefer the traditional aesthetic of Valentino. The label has represented elegance and sophistication for many years. In fact I think I first became interested in the fashion world when I saw Valentino and his designs on the Oprah show years ago.
Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment